The United States Suddenly Launches a “Deadly Strike”
On February 17th, local time, the U.S. Southern Command announced that on the evening of the 16th, the U.S. “Southern Spear” joint task force carried out three lethal strikes against three “drug trafficking ships” in the Eastern Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea. Eleven male “drug terrorists” were killed, with no casualties among U.S. personnel.
Meanwhile, major news also came from the Middle East. According to CCTV News, on the 17th, local time, the second round of indirect U.S.-Iran negotiations concluded at the diplomatic mission in Geneva, Switzerland, in Oman. Both sides reached consensus on some overall issues. U.S. Vice President Vance stated that the negotiations are “progressing smoothly in some areas.”
U.S. Military Launches Three “Lethal Strikes”
According to Xinhua News Agency, the U.S. Southern Command posted on social media on the 17th that on the evening of the 16th, U.S. forces attacked three so-called “drug ships” in the Eastern Pacific and the Caribbean Sea, killing 11 people on board.
The message stated that, under the orders of U.S. Southern Command Commander Francis Donovan, the “Southern Spear” joint task force carried out three “lethal strikes” against ships operated by what the U.S. considers “terrorist organizations,” killing 11 “drug terrorists.”
Two ships were attacked in the Eastern Pacific, each with four people killed; another ship in the Caribbean Sea was attacked, with three killed.
Since early September last year, U.S. forces have frequently attacked so-called “drug trafficking ships” in the Caribbean and Eastern Pacific. However, the U.S. government has not released any evidence proving that these targets are involved in drug trafficking.
The U.S. “Southern Spear” operation was announced by Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth on November 13, 2025. It is led jointly by the “Southern Spear” joint task force and the U.S. Southern Command, claiming its goal is to eliminate drug terrorists in the Western Hemisphere and protect U.S. territory from drug threats. The operation involves MQ-9 “Reaper” drones, F-35 fighters, and AC-130J gunships.
U.S. President Trump recently stated that he plans to visit Venezuela but has not yet decided when.
Trump claimed that the U.S. and Venezuela are working closely together, with major U.S. oil companies extracting oil in Venezuela, which will “benefit greatly” from this.
Looking back, on January 3rd, the U.S. launched a large-scale military strike against Venezuela, forcibly detaining President Maduro and his wife and bringing them to the U.S… Trump then said the U.S. would “manage” Venezuela until a “security” transition is implemented, and major U.S. oil companies would invest in Venezuela.
Major Developments in U.S.-Iran Negotiations
Meanwhile, significant progress was also reported in the U.S.-Iran negotiations.
According to CCTV News, during the second round of U.S.-Iran talks that concluded on the 17th, both sides reached consensus on some overall issues. After the negotiation delegations reported back to their respective governments, the U.S. and Iran will continue to discuss detailed matters.
U.S. Vice President Vance said that the U.S.-Iran negotiations are “progressing smoothly in some areas,” but Iran has not yet been willing to acknowledge some of Trump’s “red lines.” Vance added that Trump hopes to find a solution “through diplomacy or other options.”
According to Xinhua News Agency, Trump stated on the 16th that he would “indirectly” participate in negotiations between the U.S. and Iran. If no agreement is reached, Iran will face “consequences.”
Iranian Foreign Minister Araghchi said on the 17th, after the conclusion of the new round of U.S.-Iran talks, that there are still gaps between the two sides and further communication is needed, but the prospects for negotiations are “more clear” than before.
The Iranian Foreign Ministry issued a statement that day, saying Araghchi stated that the second round of indirect talks between Iran and the U.S. was held on the 17th at the diplomatic mission in Geneva, Oman, and both sides engaged in “serious and constructive” discussions on relevant issues.
Araghchi said that this round of negotiations made positive progress compared to the previous one, and both sides reached a general consensus on a series of “guiding principles.” Future work will be based on this, moving toward drafting a potential agreement.
He emphasized that this does not mean an agreement will be reached quickly, but at least the negotiation process has begun. Both sides will work on the potential text of the agreement and exchange opinions, then decide on the timing of the third round of talks.
Araghchi also mentioned that IAEA Director General Grossi had arrived in Geneva and discussed technical issues with Iran.
As a result, gold and silver prices plummeted. Spot gold fell below the key psychological level of $4,900 per ounce, reaching $4,887.91 as of 9:00 a.m. Beijing time on the 18th. Spot silver dropped over 4% on the 17th and continued to decline on the 18th, down 0.94%, at $72.82 per ounce.
Jim Wyckoff, senior analyst at Kitco Metals, pointed out that if the U.S. can avoid attacking Iran, market anxiety will be greatly alleviated, which is an immediate bearish factor for safe-haven assets like gold and silver.
Wyckoff added that progress in the Russia-Ukraine negotiations is also a bearish factor for gold. Any event that can ease geopolitical tensions at this point will give investors a reason to reduce their safe-haven positions.
This page may contain third-party content, which is provided for information purposes only (not representations/warranties) and should not be considered as an endorsement of its views by Gate, nor as financial or professional advice. See Disclaimer for details.
Breaking! US Launches Strikes! Three Deadly Attacks on Three "Drug Smuggling Vessels"
The United States Suddenly Launches a “Deadly Strike”
On February 17th, local time, the U.S. Southern Command announced that on the evening of the 16th, the U.S. “Southern Spear” joint task force carried out three lethal strikes against three “drug trafficking ships” in the Eastern Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea. Eleven male “drug terrorists” were killed, with no casualties among U.S. personnel.
Meanwhile, major news also came from the Middle East. According to CCTV News, on the 17th, local time, the second round of indirect U.S.-Iran negotiations concluded at the diplomatic mission in Geneva, Switzerland, in Oman. Both sides reached consensus on some overall issues. U.S. Vice President Vance stated that the negotiations are “progressing smoothly in some areas.”
U.S. Military Launches Three “Lethal Strikes”
According to Xinhua News Agency, the U.S. Southern Command posted on social media on the 17th that on the evening of the 16th, U.S. forces attacked three so-called “drug ships” in the Eastern Pacific and the Caribbean Sea, killing 11 people on board.
The message stated that, under the orders of U.S. Southern Command Commander Francis Donovan, the “Southern Spear” joint task force carried out three “lethal strikes” against ships operated by what the U.S. considers “terrorist organizations,” killing 11 “drug terrorists.”
Two ships were attacked in the Eastern Pacific, each with four people killed; another ship in the Caribbean Sea was attacked, with three killed.
Since early September last year, U.S. forces have frequently attacked so-called “drug trafficking ships” in the Caribbean and Eastern Pacific. However, the U.S. government has not released any evidence proving that these targets are involved in drug trafficking.
The U.S. “Southern Spear” operation was announced by Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth on November 13, 2025. It is led jointly by the “Southern Spear” joint task force and the U.S. Southern Command, claiming its goal is to eliminate drug terrorists in the Western Hemisphere and protect U.S. territory from drug threats. The operation involves MQ-9 “Reaper” drones, F-35 fighters, and AC-130J gunships.
U.S. President Trump recently stated that he plans to visit Venezuela but has not yet decided when.
Trump claimed that the U.S. and Venezuela are working closely together, with major U.S. oil companies extracting oil in Venezuela, which will “benefit greatly” from this.
Looking back, on January 3rd, the U.S. launched a large-scale military strike against Venezuela, forcibly detaining President Maduro and his wife and bringing them to the U.S… Trump then said the U.S. would “manage” Venezuela until a “security” transition is implemented, and major U.S. oil companies would invest in Venezuela.
Major Developments in U.S.-Iran Negotiations
Meanwhile, significant progress was also reported in the U.S.-Iran negotiations.
According to CCTV News, during the second round of U.S.-Iran talks that concluded on the 17th, both sides reached consensus on some overall issues. After the negotiation delegations reported back to their respective governments, the U.S. and Iran will continue to discuss detailed matters.
U.S. Vice President Vance said that the U.S.-Iran negotiations are “progressing smoothly in some areas,” but Iran has not yet been willing to acknowledge some of Trump’s “red lines.” Vance added that Trump hopes to find a solution “through diplomacy or other options.”
According to Xinhua News Agency, Trump stated on the 16th that he would “indirectly” participate in negotiations between the U.S. and Iran. If no agreement is reached, Iran will face “consequences.”
Iranian Foreign Minister Araghchi said on the 17th, after the conclusion of the new round of U.S.-Iran talks, that there are still gaps between the two sides and further communication is needed, but the prospects for negotiations are “more clear” than before.
The Iranian Foreign Ministry issued a statement that day, saying Araghchi stated that the second round of indirect talks between Iran and the U.S. was held on the 17th at the diplomatic mission in Geneva, Oman, and both sides engaged in “serious and constructive” discussions on relevant issues.
Araghchi said that this round of negotiations made positive progress compared to the previous one, and both sides reached a general consensus on a series of “guiding principles.” Future work will be based on this, moving toward drafting a potential agreement.
He emphasized that this does not mean an agreement will be reached quickly, but at least the negotiation process has begun. Both sides will work on the potential text of the agreement and exchange opinions, then decide on the timing of the third round of talks.
Araghchi also mentioned that IAEA Director General Grossi had arrived in Geneva and discussed technical issues with Iran.
As a result, gold and silver prices plummeted. Spot gold fell below the key psychological level of $4,900 per ounce, reaching $4,887.91 as of 9:00 a.m. Beijing time on the 18th. Spot silver dropped over 4% on the 17th and continued to decline on the 18th, down 0.94%, at $72.82 per ounce.
Jim Wyckoff, senior analyst at Kitco Metals, pointed out that if the U.S. can avoid attacking Iran, market anxiety will be greatly alleviated, which is an immediate bearish factor for safe-haven assets like gold and silver.
Wyckoff added that progress in the Russia-Ukraine negotiations is also a bearish factor for gold. Any event that can ease geopolitical tensions at this point will give investors a reason to reduce their safe-haven positions.
(Article source: Securities Times)